If you belong to the Sierra Club and live in one of the nine counties in the southwest corner of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula, you’re an important member of the SouthWest Michigan Group of the Sierra Club’s Michigan Chapter.
The Sierra Club’s motto is Explore, Enjoy, and Protect the Planet.
We meet the second Tuesday of every month at Gallagher’s Eatery and Pub, 4210 Stadium Drive, Kalamazoo. We start gathering for food at about 5:00 PM. The meeting starts at 6:00. The public is welcome! You don’t need to be a member to come to our meetings and find out what we’re up to.
Sierra Club Michigan Chapter supports the drive to put a legislative initiative on the 2016 ballot that would ban fracking statewide.
Here’s a link to the July 20 Michigan Chapter news release supporting the initiative. See our News Page and our Fracking Ban page for more information or check out MLive’s report. The Sierra Club and many other organizations have joined the campaign begun by the Committee to Ban Fracking in Michigan.
Michigan legislators fighting clean energy
See our News Page for the NPR report that says “State energy plan ‘devastating’ for rooftop solar companies.”
But solar energy got two big boosts, nationally and here in Michigan:
Recent Sierra Club SouthWest Michigan Group and Michigan Chapter work
- Sierra Club Michigan Chapter called for a statewide fracking ban. Get more details on our Michigan Fracking Ban page. See the Chapter’s news release.
- Dana Mains joined Citizens Climate Lobby in Washington and helped educate our legislators.
- Kathy Van Deusen is using John Muir’s life and example to inspire tomorrow’s conservation leaders.
- Bill Strong organized a tree planting that gave the Black River Preserve 200 new oaks and hickories.
- Charlie Stefanac and Bruce Brown joined the St. Joseph Social Justice Coalition’s Interfaith Blessing of the Earth and made a brief Sierra Club presentation on Earth Day.
- David Peterson has a plan for getting kids involved with nature.
- Mary Colborn is working and teaching on the farm.
- Jim Ferner is working on Kalamazoo traffic issues.
- A contingent from the SouthWest Michigan Group attended the Portage Green-A-Thon.
- Charlie Stefanac organized a presentation about John Muir at the Kalamazoo Nature Center.
More SWMG activities coming, including YOURS. Send us a contact form and tell us what you’re up to.
Check out Sierra Club SouthWest Michigan Group blogs:
- Sum1Else has a new blog about fracking.
- Check out Jim Ferner’s blogs. Safe streets for all can mean more bicycling, more walking, fewer cars, slower traffic, cleaner air, and a healthier, happier Kalamazoo.
- A challenge from the Northeast Ohio Group: Get with the Meatless Mondays program!
- Sum1Else says Mayday PAC failed, plan B looks weak. An idea and a challenge.
- The Michigan Voice has generously agreed to share Craig Brainard’s blog with us. Check out The Fracking Linkletter © every week.
- Sum1Else has a message for us from Adam Smith, author of The Wealth of Nations.
- Bruce Brown offers the final installment of his three-part series on This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs the Climate by Naomi Klein.
More SWMG blogs coming, including YOURS.
Something’s on your mind. Sign up and start blogging.
Check out all our blogs. Add your comments.
Activities below are coming up soon.
See our calendar for a complete schedule.