If you belong to the Sierra Club and live in one of the nine counties in the southwest corner of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula, you’re an important member of the Southwest Michigan Group of Sierra Club’s Michigan Chapter.
For the latest on Flint, follow Michigan Chapter’s Flint Water Debacle page.
Please take Michigan Chapter’s redistricting survey. We need your opinion.
Monthly meeting – new time and place
We meet the first Wednesday of every month.
Our next meeting will be 6:00 PM Wednesday, September 7, at the Friends Meeting House, 508 Denner St, Kalamazoo, MI 49006. The public is welcome. You don’t need to be a member. Bring your family and friends!
Urgent! Action needed!
|Public pressure has delayed the Michigan legislature’s ugly energy bills. Keep up the heat!||Outcry to shut down Line 5 has brought tough talk from Michigan officials. Keep pushing!|
Michigan’s clean energy mandates, originally set in 2008, are about to expire.
Rather than new and stronger mandates, the energy package under consideration in Lansing proposes unenforceable voluntary goals. Other disastrous provisions would classify solid waste with clean renewable energy sources and would impose new penalties on homeowners who install solar panels. This retrograde energy package, introduced in March of 2015, finally left the Energy and Technology Committee for the full Senate on May 27, 2016.
Update: SB 437 and 438 have moved to the Senate floor. UP THE PRESSURE! Contact your State Senator NOW! Residents of Southwest Michigan can find their legislators’ contact information on our “Who’s Your Legislator” page. Call, email, or write your State Legislators. Tell them to vote “NO” on:
See Sierra Club Michigan Chapter’s news release, our “Take Action against Destructive Energy” page, and our “Take Action for Clean Energy” page for more details. See also the message Sierra Club Michigan Chapter sent to our lawmakers telling them to quit stalling.
This ancient pipeline beneath the Straits of Mackinac threatens catastrophe for the Great Lakes.
More info here and here. Public outcry – including shutdown resolutions adopted by more than two dozen Michigan communities – has prompted Michigan officials to talk tough and to demand more and clearer information.
Keep pressing to shut it down!
More than 35 million people depend on the Great Lakes for clean drinking water.
Important news from our Environmental News page.
- Several updates on our Palisades problem:
- Palisades security officers placed on paid administrative leave as NRC monitors Palisades’ investigation of reporting “anomalies.”
- FBI gets involved.
- Some officers return to work; union threatens to file a grievance.
- Entergy replaces its top man at Palisades.
- Entergy, Palisades owner-operator, seems to have a company-wide reporting problem.
- A new objection arises in government’s settlement with Enbridge on 2010 Kalamazoo River spill.
- Study reports rising infant mortality rates near nuclear power plant.
- Ban or tax plastic bags? Bill would tell local governments they can’t do that.
- Unanimous vote: Kalamazoo City Commission tells Michigan officials, “Shut down Line 5!”
- Industrial waste discharge into Lake Michigan from BP refinery in Whiting, Indiana, is five times the plant’s allowable limit.
- Appeals court upholds 2014 ruling, says climate change is real – and expensive!
Flint’s water problem has faded from the mainstream headlines, but important developments arise daily. Follow Michigan Chapter’s Flint Water Debacle page for the latest information.
Check out the newest blog posts from the Sierra Club Southwest Michigan Group:
- The War on Climate Change – WWIII?
- Check out the latest news from Craig Brainard in The Fracking Linkletter © every week. (Note: The Fracking Linkletter © is on a Summer hiatus.)
- David Holtz, Sierra Club Michigan Chapter Executive Committee Chair, and Craig Brainard, Chapter Executive Committee member, update us on Enbridge’s threat to the Great Lakes. Learn the latest info on the pipeline beneath the Straits of Mackinac.
- The latest from Ben Brown:
- The tiny house movement: A strategy to heal the Earth.
- Ben is on a bee rescue mission: Part One – and now, Part Two. Part Three coming soon.
- Ben’s reaction to an awe-inspiring landscape.
- Getting to 80% clean energy.
- How driving electric can work for you: Electric Car Examples.
- The climate change flywheel.
- How your utility bill hides The True Cost of Energy.
- Why isn’t Michigan isn’t embracing a clean-energy future? What can we do about the problem?
- Information and insights on driving electric.
- More posts from Ben.
- Here’s an idea: Boycott Bottled Water!
- Paul Pancella tells us about converting his ’92 Honda to a fully electric “Hondatron.”
- Our Hydrocarbon Insanity – what we’re doing to ourselves – what’s the cure?
- On nuclear energy:
- See this disturbing report from guest blogger Bryan Burroughs: Coldwater River disaster.
More SWMG blogs coming, including YOURS.
Kalamazoo Drive Electric Week 2016. Saturday, September 10, through Sunday, September 18.
Use the icons above to share our events.